Americus Area Attractions

 Historic Windsor Hotel

Downtown_Americus_Christmas_2007_001The magnificent Windsor hotel is the crown jewel of the Americus National Register, Historic District. Originally built in 1892, the Windsor was fashioned after the finest hotels of late 19th century Europe. The Windsor has received numerous accolades and awards including those from Georgia Trend Magazine and Southern Living Magazine. The Windsor offers the perfect setting for corporate retreats, business meetings, seminars and conventions. Groups of 10 to 300 are welcome. Special room rates are made available to groups. The Windsor offers a relaxing atmosphere, great food, golf nearby, antique, and boutique shopping in town.

Historic Rylander Theatre

The Historic Rylander Theatre (ca. 1921) closed in 1951 and was dark for almost 50 years. After a meticulous $4 million restoration, the theatre reopened Oct. 1, 1999. The theatre comfortably seats over 600 on three levels, orchestra, balcony and gallery and is equipped with state of the art theatrical equipment, a restored 1928 Moller theatre pipe organ and new Steinway grand piano named in honor of Rosalynn Smith Carter. Situated in the downtown central business district, the Rylander Theatre is a community landmark.


Habitat for Humanity International

Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, non-denominational Christian housing organization. They welcome all people to join them as they build simple, decent, affordable, houses in partnership with those in need of adequate shelter. Since 1976, Habitat has build more than 100,000 houses in more than 79 countries, including some 30,000 houses across the United States. 

In 2003, Habitat opened its Global Village and Discovery Center in Americus. Here, visitors can see life-sized Habitat Houses from countries around the world- houses built on stilts, of fieldstone or of handmade block. Learn about the devastating effects of poverty and the inspiring work of Habitat volunteers and partner families everywhere. Try your hand at making compressed-earth blocks or roof tile-just like Habitat homeowners in Africa and Asia!

Historic Homes Driving Tour

Brochures for driving tours are available at the Chamber office or the Welcome Center and features nearly forty specific sites, as well as routing you through areas of other interesting structures.

Site of Charles Lindbergh's First Solo Flight

A Lindbergh Memorial Statue is located off Ga. Highway 49 in Americus commemorating the first solo flight of the aviator at Souther Field Airport. A Lindbergh Room Display is located at South Georgia Technical College off Souther Field Road.

Sam Shortline Railroad

samlogo.jpgThe Sam Shortline is a passenger train ride through the rural backdrops of southeast Georgia.  The tour takes you through Cordele, Americus and Plains.
Visit the Sam Shortline website. 

 

 Café Campesino cafe_camp_logo_highres.jpg

Established in 1998, Café Campesino is Georgia's first and only 100% Fair Trade Organic Coffee Company. Café Campesino invites you to visit their roastery and coffee house, where you can see how coffee is roasted, learn about Fair Trade, and enjoy delicious coffee in a truly unique environment that includes outdoor seating and a dog run. The coffee house offers specialty coffee and espresso drinks, all-natural smoothies, teas, chai, and yerba mate. The muffins, biscotti, cinnamon rolls, and date nut bread are fresh baked locally. The coffee house is open Monday-Friday, 7:30 am-5:30 pm, and Saturday, 8 am-1 pm. To stay up-to-date on movie night, live music and other events at Café Campesino, please visit the website at www.cafecampesino.com.

 

 

 


Welcome to Plains

103 Church Street

Plains, GA 31780

229-824-5445

 

Honorable L.E. "Boze" Godwin, Mayor

 

City Council:

 

Dr. Jimmy Bagwell

A.B. Jackson

Andrea Oates

Eugene Edge, Sr.

Wade Medlock

Joey Recker


Plains High School Museum and Welcome Center

The Plains High School Museum and Welcome Center features the life of the 39th President of the United States, housed in the brick building from which he graduated from high school.

Jimmy Carter National Historic Site

The site includes President Carter's residence, boyhood farm, school, and the railroad depot, which served as his campaign headquarters during the 1976 election. The Plains High School serves as the park's museum and visitor center. The Jimmy Carter National Preservation District includes part of the town of Plains and its environs.

Plains Depot Museum

Open daily; Admission is free

 

KOINONIA PARTNERS
"Koinonia Partners / http://www.koinoniapartners.org/
<http://www.koinoniapartners.org/> / 1324 Georgia Hwy 49 S, Americus GA
31719 / Koinonia is a Christian community and farm welcoming visitors of
all faiths. Founded as an interracial, pacifist organization in 1942 by
the farmer-scholar Clarence Jordan, Koinonia is the birthplace of
Habitat for Humanity, Jubilee Partners, and the Prison & Jail Project.
Current ministries include a community center serving local youth and
seniors. We offer tours of our land and museum at 10am and 2pm
Monday-Saturday (suggested donation $3), and have a gift shop with
books, conveniences, and goodies from our bakery (9-5 Mon-Sat, 1-5
Sunday). Call us if you would like to join us for a community lunch
(12-1 Mon-Fri; suggested donation $6) or a service shift. We also have
some lodging available in our humble, simple guest cottages or our small
RV park, in exchange for suggested donations. We welcome you to our home!"


 

Welcome to Andersonville

114 Church Street

Andersonville, GA 31711

229-924-2068

 

Honorable Marvin Baugh, Mayor

 

City Council:

 

Chris Hobbs

Ray Carter

John Owens

Marvin Baugh

Shelton Jackson

 Andersonville Civil War Village


Stroll the quaint and historic Village of Andersonville where the Andersonville saga began with the arrival by rail of 45,000 Union prisoners of war in 1864, finding many shops featuring Civil War-related items. 

For more information on the Andersonville Civil War Village, the Andersonville Fair or the Andersonville Welcome Center, go to:   http://www.andersonvillega.freeservers.com/

The Andersonville National Historic Site is open free of charge seven days a week. More than 167,000 people tour the 500-acre park annually, viewing the site of Andersonville Confederate Prison, Andersonville National Cemetery where the 13,000 Union prisoners of war who died at Andersonville are buried and where 5,000 U.S. veterans have been buried since the Civil War, and the National POW Museum which honors all Americans held as prisoners of war in all our country's wars from the American Revolution to the present day. For more information on the cemetery or Prisoner of War museum, including rates and hours of operation, go to: Andersonville National Historic Site, National Prisoner of War Museum and National Cemetery


Welcome to Leslie

108 Commerce Street

Leslie, GA 31764

Phone: 229-874-5838

 

Honorable George Bagley IV, Mayor

City Council Members

Clint Ledger

 

Jane Butler

Billy Rae Tissue

 

LESLIE was incorporated in 1892. The town was given its name from a Victorian lady named Leslie Bailey. Today, the town still looks much the same as when she stolled the dogwood lined streets and well-kept white houses over a century ago. A large part of Leslie belongs to the agribusiness sector of Sumter County. Rolling farmland and rumbling tractors harvesting different produce throughout the year is the common sight driving through this part of Sumter County.

 

Leslie is home to the Antique Dogwood Festival each year in April. The festival, held in the town's civic center, brings antique dealers from across the state. A variety of antique merchandise from coin collections and Civil War memorabilia to furniture can be purchased at this annual festival.

 

Georgia Rural Telephone Museum

In one of the oldest buildings in Leslie sits one of the largest collections of telephone memorabilia in the world. This exhibit contains one of the rare 50 line switch boards (1882), one of the first operator headsets (1880) and numerous wall phones.


Welcome to DeSoto

The town of Desoto was incorporated by an act of legislature on November 7, 1889. The first mayor was Edward Stanley Ferguson. Once a busy, vigrant town, it was destroyed by fire in 1906. Only one city block was rebuilt and the town was never large again. 

DESOTO CITY COUNCIL

Honorable Dennis Billings, Mayor

Honorable Gennie Dowdell

Honorable Duane Crawford

Honorable Addie Cutts

 

Last Updated on Thursday, 08 July 2010 14:06